General Note: Over the past decade, I’ve been hired by almost every type of actor in the Architecture, Engineering & Construction (AEC) environment to help introduce advanced-technology workflows into their projects. This is the last in a series of four posts that summarizes those BIM, VDC, & parametric contributions at a high level.
One of the most powerful collaborations I enjoy is working directly with developers — usually to empower their use of VDC technologies downstream and after requiring a BIM workflow from designers.
Each developer brings different requirements to their design team, but uniformly expresses interest in doing business quicker, better, faster and smarter. My name has been referred to them as someone excited to help all AEC stakeholders use new technologies to manage risk in the portfolio of buildings they plan to construct.
Below is the topics common to those consulting service topics (usually services further rendered to an Owner’s Rep). This list is compiled in one place for the first time. It is fascinating to see the themes of risk management in each topic, but has been even more fascinating to contrast these topics with against those that architects tend to require.
PART 1: NEEDS EVALUATION & ROADMAPPING
- Management-specific Interviews for Design & Delivery Goals.
- Company Wide Technology & Infrastructure Review (and Recommendations).
- Scoping types of Building Information Model (BIM) data for Design Phases of future projects.
- Roadmapping agreements among Design Team Members to realize data requirements in project files and project data.
- Identifying LOD Requirements for Design Team decisions at each project stage.
- Identifying acceptable Industry Standards to serve as the basis for model evaluations.
PART 2: EXECUTION PLANS & TEAM BUILDING
- Authoring Owner-required BIM Standards
- COBie Standards and Review
- Owner Execution Plan (OxP) Development & Facilitation
- Project Execution Plan (PxP) Development & Facilitation
- RFP / RFQ Authoring
- Team Interviews and Member Selection Advisement
PART 3: DESIGN-STAGE PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Education for Design Team Senior Management
- Executive / Project Management Strategy
- Review of Standard Operating Processes
- Assist Template Creation for project’s Clashing Model & Report. (Project Staff led.)
- Assist Template Creation for project’s Quantity Take-Off (QTO) Calculations. (Project Staff led.)
- Owner’s Representative led Clash Detection in SD, DD & CD (LoD 100-300).
- Ongoing Professional Development
PART 4: CONSTRUCTION-STAGE PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Owner’s Representative led Clash Detection for LOD 350 and above.
- RFP / RFQ Authoring for Bidding GCs.
- Submittal Requirement Authoring for Design Team
- GC Interviews and Member Selection Advisement
- 4D – Construction Sequencing
- 5D – Quantities & Cost
- 6D – Facilities (Lifecycle) Management
- LEAN BIM presentations (LEAN Construction)